Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Five Sources Of News and Information

 As many people in our current generation, one of the many sources I used to get my information from is social media platforms. My main source is Instagram because everything is much more compact with less controversies compared to other platforms, such as TikTok or Twitter. While information may be biased or in factual, I find most of the big news articles take many live feedback from instagram when trying to visually see the facts of a story. Hence, while this platform should not be recommended to be your main source of news,  it is a good platform to find many sides to a story that news stations may not display.



Another source of information I use is connections and friends/family. Every person uses different sources to get their new and information, and when people with different outlets for the same story meet up to talk, many of the facts and bias can be sorted through simple conversation. One friend may watch democratic news stations while another watches republican content on social media, but when they both come together to talk about a story concerning a political issue, they can talk about what their outlet of information said about the topic and see where the story holds bias and where the facts are consistent. Same applies to family, especially at holiday events like thanksgiving where news and world-wide events are passionately talked about. This source of information is highly recommended due to how this source combines the information gathered at multiple sources and reduces the amount of miscommunication.

One more source I use for information are online websites and articles.  There are a multitude of cites out there that can be used for information gathering; such as New York Times, The Washington Post, U.S News and World Reports, and many more. All of these news sources have websites that are open to the public. They usually cover the general knowledge and background information of a story. I use these sites as a way to understand as much context of a story as possible to then convey and converse with my peers. The biggest downside to this approach is that new organizations that create these websites and articles tend to be very bias or push agendas. I recommend this source because it gives the reader more details about a situation and allows any person to look into information for themselves instead of relying on what others tell them is true.



A third source of information is through school and educational resources. Schools provide a variety of educational information through classes, professors, textbooks, libraries, and many other areas. These sources give me the opportunity to learn information about a story in a more organized manner and give me the chance to ask questions when I don't fully comprehend something. I also find this method helpful because you can compare what you learn in school with information found in other sources. However, the information the schools provide may contain specific views or bias in certain stories or cases. This is why it's important question information that is being given. Compared to the other sources, I will not highly recommend this source if you can use others. However, this is still a very valuable source that if given should be used. 

A final source I use are news stations such as NBC, CNN, FOX, and many other stations.



No comments:

Post a Comment